How to Skewer Meat
Looking for some tips and tricks that will make grilling skewers quick, easy and a success every time?
Share this tip
Looking for some tips and tricks that will make grilling skewers quick, easy and a success every time? Follow these tips from Adrian Richardson from Good Chef Bad Chef (see video above right) and the Heat Beads® team.
Top 8 tips on skewering meat…
– Soak your bamboo skewers for at least 30 minutes in water to prevent them from burning on the BBQ.
– Alternatively, reusable metal skewers are a great option.
– Buy ready sliced strips of meat from your butcher, or dice the meat of your choice and thread it onto your skewers.
– You can snip off the point on bamboo skewers before serving if you’re worried about hurting yourself on the sharp end.
– Try mixing some vegetables with your meat on the skewer; mushrooms, onion, zucchini and capsicum work well on the BBQ. Parboiling the vegetables before skewering them will reduce your grilling time.
– Remember that different sized meats cook at different rates, so make sure you use a uniform sized meat on your skewers for best results, and keep any vegetables to a similar size.
– Fatty meats can be cooked at a high temperature. Leaner meats will need a lower heat and a longer cooking time.
– Make sure you oil your BBQ before putting your skewers on to cook to prevent sticking. For best results, use a paper towel (held with tongs) to swipe oil along the grill bars when it is red hot.
There is no limit to the flavours you can achieve with skewers; the combinations of meats, vegetables and marinades are endless. Have fun and experiment with different combinations, and give your Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes a workout!
*Video copyright Good Chef Bad Chef.
Watch Tip Video
How are Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes made?
The high quality of Heat Beads® BBQ Briquettes is because of the unique raw materials base used – a blend of hardwood charcoal and mineral carbon.
How to Peel and Devein Prawns
Check out these tips and you’ll be peeling and deveining like a pro in no time.